Welcome

Thank you for taking the time to visit, please check back every week for new reviews.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Lunatic Cafe, and the series thus far

The Lunatic Cafe
Book four in the Anita Blake series
Laurell K. Hamilton

The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter)
picture courtesy of amazon.com



At a glance (spoiler free)

First let me start by saying a few words about the series up to this, the fourth book; great alternate reality series, full of interesting quirks and surprising realism. I have been continually impressed with Hamilton's ability to gauge humanity. Racism takes on a new dimension in a world where we have Lycanthrops of all sorts, Vampires, witches, ect ect. The setting is dark and rich but the writing is light, easy to understand and the plots simple. If I were the mother of a mature teen I would give them this series and have no fear.

On to The Lunatic Cafe . . . .
Here we open on the love triangle fully realized, and it is rather satisfying. I found myself feeling more then a little bit dirty during the first novels when I would lust with Anita after the Master of the City. Richard is a good guy, a teacher, a hiker, a gentlemen, attentive without being suffocating, everything a girl could want right? Lycanthropy is a disease, we should pity them, they're still people, not monsters, right? Anita has to answer for herself, bring her heart and mind into agreement, while dealing with yet another deadly mystery.


This book does a near perfect job of balancing the elements that are the foundation of this series. The mystery of the missing Lycanthrops takes center stage, save for when one of the two heart throbs steals the stage and forces Anita to again dwell on what she really wants. Over all a pleasant read, and a good reason to indulge in near smutty murder mystery yumminess!

Extended Musings (possible spoilers)

What is Hamilton trying to tell us about humanity? I cannot help but belive that the battle for Anita's heart is more then it seems. Anita talks about 'monsters' and 'humans'. What makes someone a monster? Do you have to be a Vampire? Can a Lycanthrop be a monster? Is Anita a monster? She asks herself these questions, and I find myself wondering what she will decide.

For me I think that as with so many things Monsterism is in the eye of the beholder. Anita raises Zombies, carries a gun everywhere, kills Vampires (legal citizens with rights now), and anything else that jumps out at her. We could call her a monster, and Anita herself is not completely sure that we would be wrong.


Further more what in the world was that scene with Jean-Claude, Richard, and Anita in her apartment all about? The energy, the magic, that was bizarre. And though I'm not sure what it is I can give a good guess at what it betokens. Anita is not going to be free of either of her suitors for a very long time. There is something about Anita, about who she is, about the power she holds, that can be unlocked by this odd trinity. We can count on seeing more of it.

I personally hope that Anita picks Richard, Team werewolf all the way! But I don't hate Jean-Claude, I just don't think that he 'loves' Anita or that she really loves him.

No comments:

Post a Comment